There is a unique odor associated with the civet that is difficult to describe. Perfumes with Civet are often used as a base note, providing depth and complexity to a fragrance, and are often described as musky, earthy, and slightly sweet, with faint feces undertones. In addition to its use as a fixative, it is also used to prolong the scent of other ingredients.
It has been controversial for some time to use civet perfumes as it is derived from the anal glands of the civet cat, which is often kept in cramped cages and subjected to inhumane conditions. Animal rights activists have criticized using civets in perfumes as cruel and unnecessary.
Table of Contents
7 Best Perfumes With Civet Notes
Discover the exotic and sensual world of the best perfumes with civet notes. Find the perfect one for you, from classic and iconic fragrances like Chanel No. 5 and Guerlain Shalimar to bold scents like KL Karl Lagerfeld and CK Obsession.
1. Best Perfume For Women: Chanel No. 5 Eau De Toilette
A classic fragrance that dates back to 1921, Chanel No. 5 EDT is the best civet perfume that features a blend of aldehydes, florals, and musks.
Top notes include neroli, ylang-ylang, and aldehydes, giving them a fresh and sparkling quality. Jasmine and rose are the middle notes, which enhance the floral and feminine qualities of the fragrance.
Vanilla, musk, and civet are base notes, creating a warm and sensual fragrance. In addition to being suitable for fall, winter, and evening wear, Chanel No. 5 EDT has an 8-10 hour wear time.
- A classic and iconic scent that is elegant, sophisticated, and timeless.
- Features a blend of floral, powdery, and musky notes that are well-balanced and long-lasting.
- Suitable for any occasion, any season, and any age group.
- Not suitable for those who prefer lighter or more subtle fragrances.
2. Best Citrus Perfume: Karl Lagerfeld KL Eau De Toilette
KL is a classic fragrance that was introduced in 1982. It is a floral fragrance characterized by orange blossom, aldehydes, and bergamot.
Despite its fresh and citrusy top notes, this fragrance also has floral and feminine middle notes of rose, jasmine, and lily of the valley. This fragrance is characterized by its base notes of civet, amber, and musk, which provide a warm and sensual fragrance.
KL suits women and is best worn between the fall and winter. This fragrance has moderate longevity, with five to six hours of wear time.
- A bold and daring fragrance that is perfect for those who want to stand out.
- Features a blend of spicy, woody, and animalic notes that are complex and seductive.
- Suitable for evening wear, fall and winter seasons, and confident individuals.
- Not suitable for those who prefer more subtle or casual fragrances.
3. Best Fall Perfume: Jean Patou Eau De Parfum
It is one of the classic civet perfumes that has been in production since 1925. A floral fragrance that combines tuberose, jasmine, and rose, the top notes of this fragrance are citrusy and fresh with notes of lemon and bergamot.
This fragrance is ideal for women and is best suited to fall and winter wear. The middle notes of tuberose, jasmine, and rose add a floral and feminine touch, while the base notes of civet, musk, and amber give it a warm and sensual quality. Approximately 8-10 hours are required for this fragrance to last.
- A classic and elegant fragrance that is refined, feminine, and sensual.
- Features a blend of floral, woody, and animalic notes that are well-balanced and long-lasting.
- Suitable for any occasion, any season, and any age group
- Quiet expensive, and may not be accessible for everyone.
4. Best Floral Perfume: Valentino Valentino Eau De Parfum
In 1978, Valentino was introduced as a classic floral fragrance, which includes bergamot, lemon, and orange blossoms. It is a floral fragrance that is a combination of bergamot, lemon, and orange blossoms.
Its fresh, citrusy top notes characterize it, while its floral and feminine middle notes include jasmine, tuberose, and ylang-ylang. In addition to the base notes of civet, musk, and amber, Valentino has a warm, sensual fragrance that is perfect for women during the fall and winter. As far as longevity is concerned, this fragrance has a wear time of eight to ten hours.
- A romantic and feminine fragrance that is delicate, fresh, and floral.
- Features a blend of fruity, floral, and woody notes that are youthful and vibrant.
- Suitable for daytime wear, spring and summer seasons, and young women.
- Not suitable for those who prefer more mature or complex fragrances.
5. Best Winter Perfume: Guerlain Shalimar Eau De Parfum
A classic perfume launched in 1925, Shahlimar is a mixture of bergamot, lemon, and mandarin orange. It is an oriental fragrance that is reminiscent of a citrusy scent. The top notes give this fragrance a fresh and citrusy quality, while the middle notes of jasmine, iris, and rose add a floral and feminine quality.
In addition to vanilla, civet, and musk, the perfume has a warming and sensual base note. It is recommended for use during the fall and winter seasons. With a wear time of eight to ten hours, this fragrance is long-lasting.
- A classic and timeless fragrance that is luxurious, exotic, and sensual.
- Features a blend of citrus, floral, and oriental notes that are rich and sophisticated.
- Suitable for evening wear, fall and winter seasons, and mature women.
- Not suitable for those who prefer lighter fragrances.
6. Best Oriental Perfume: Calvin Klein Obsession Eau De Parfum
A classic oriental fragrance developed in 1985, Obsession is a blend of mandarin orange, bergamot, and vanilla that combines to create a distinctive aroma. This fragrance has a fresh and citrusy top note, while its floral and spicy middle notes combine jasmine, orange blossom, and exotic spices.
Civet, musk, and amber form the base notes of this perfume, contributing to its warmth and sensuality. The fragrance Obsession is designed for women and is best suited for fall and winter wear. With 8 to 10 hours of wear, this fragrance is long-lasting and perfect for any occasion.
- A seductive and alluring fragrance that is spicy, woody, and animalic.
- Features a blend of exotic spices, floral, and oriental notes that are intense and mysterious.
- Suitable for evening wear, fall and winter seasons, and confident women.
- Not suitable for those who prefer casual fragrances.
7. Best Unisex Perfume: Guerlain Jicky Eau De Parfum
A classic fragrance, Jicky, was introduced in 1889. A blend of lavender, bergamot, and lemons characterizes this floral fragrance. This fragrance is characterized by its top notes of fresh and citrusy notes and its middle notes of rose, jasmine, and iris.
The base notes of this fragrance are vanilla, civet, and musk, which give it a warm and sensual quality. Suitable for both men and women, Jicky is best suited for fall and winter wear. It lasts approximately five to six hours, making it a moderately long-lasting fragrance.
- A unique and unconventional fragrance that is fresh, floral, and musky.
- Features a blend of lavender, vanilla, and animalic notes that are intriguing and refreshing.
- Suitable for any occasion, any season, and both men and women.
- Can be quite polarizing and unconventional
- Not suitable for those who prefer more mainstream or traditional fragrances.
About Civet in Perfumery
Perfumes have been used for centuries to enhance our scent, express our individuality, and evoke emotions. The civet cat is a small, carnivorous mammal native to Asia and Africa that has been used in perfume for centuries. A civet is produced from the anal glands of the cat, which is a small, carnivorous mammal. Despite its strong, musky odor, civet has been controversial in recent years regarding perfumes.
Historically, civet has been used in perfumes for over a thousand years as a fixative to prolong perfumes’ longevity. The use of civets in traditional Chinese medicine has also been documented. It became a popular ingredient in perfumes during the Renaissance, particularly in France. In addition to being considered a luxury item, royalty, and wealthy people frequently wore perfumes with civets.
The perfume manufacturers have responded by discontinuing civets in their fragrances in response to these concerns. Instead of synthetic civets made from natural and synthetic ingredients, they use synthetic civets. While synthetic civet has the same odor profile as natural civet, it does not involve animal mistreatment.
Civet Perfumes have been around for a long time and have a fascinating history. Although the use of civet has been controversial in recent years, it remains an important component of many fragrances.
Consider the ethical implications of wearing civet perfume and choose scents that utilize animal-friendly alternatives if you plan to wear a fragrance with civet notes. The choice of fragrance is a matter of personal preference, and everyone should choose a scent that makes them feel confident and individual.